Sunday 4 June 2017

My Love Affair With FC DAC 1904

It's a hot September Saturday and I find myself in the Slovak town of Zlate Moravce for a match between FC ViOn of the town, and FC DAC 1904 Dunajska Streda, to give them their official title. You're probably thinking why, so here's the story of how one very controversial football club from a Hungarian majority town in southern Slovakia gained a nineteen year old Englishman as a fan...

Long distance relationships are tough, but they definitely have perks too. When Matt moved to Slovakia to teach, and continue his Lostboyo adventures, it was only right that I browse the Slovak league tables so I could at least understand what the hell he will eventually write about. A perusing of the Fortuna Liga table saw me rule out Slovan Bratislava, Spartkak Trnava and MSK Zilina on the basis of "I've heard of them." It was here one name stood out - the elongated, 'too long to show on my phone screen in full' name of FC DAC 1904 Dunajska Streda. 

After a quick Google they ticked every box; cool kit (blue and yellow stripes), stadium was a beauty (although unbeknown to me, it was about to be renovated), and, erm, well those were only two boxes really. 

Then comes the news from Matt that DAC weren't exactly the most favoured club in his new homeland. It turns out he'd been doing some research too, and discovered that DAC were in fact very pro-Hungarian. In fact, 77% of the town of Dunajska Streda, or more favourable called by the residents, Dunaszerdahely, were ethnic Hungarians, and spoke Hungarian (well, obviously). The supporters regularly chant "Hungaria!"

More research from me, and after a few Tweets, I stumbled across Stoke fan Ash, whose fiancee Reka hails from the town and regularly travels over to watch games. Ash told me a lot about the club and soon I was pretty up to speed on how the season had been going, who the best players were etc.

DAC were formed, unsurprisingly, in 1904 from the Dunaszerdahelyi Atlétikai Club and after surviving both world wars, won the Bratislava A District League. After a slow rise through the regional leagues, DAC were promoted to the Slovak National League in 1980. Before the velvet divorce, this was the second tier of Czechoslovak football. Eventual promotion to the Czech First League came in 1987, but not before a memorable UEFA Cup tie against Bayern Munich in the 1983/84 season which to this day still holds the attendance record at their home stadium. As of 2008, DAC were champions of the Slovak Third division, however, after financial troubles blighted the top flight side FC Senec, DAC merged with them and gained their league place in the Slovak First League. In their first top flight season, DAC finished 9th from 12, and have retained their top flight place for the past four seasons, having bounced straight back from relegation to win the 2.Liga in 2013. 

So my first visit to Slovakia since Matt's move comes and I put my foot down as to where we were heading for our footballing adventure - Zlate Moravce. I didn't know what to expect from the fans, the game or anything at all really, but for the next 90 minutes I was to experience a boisterous away end and a shot-buying Hungarian who soon handed us Borovicka as soon as he heard English accents. It was eight games into the current season, and DAC had accumulated just a single point from their campaign so fans were rightly agitated at their sides current run. That definitely didn't dampen spirits though, as a man with a megaphone controlled proceedings from the front of the stand, and every single fan lifted their scarf above their head for a rendition of their club anthem "Nelküled." Even at 1-0 down the frivolities continued. At half time, I communicated, with help from Matt's knowledge of German (they speak a lot of German in Slovakia too), to a girl to ask if I could borrow her scarf to take a photo, and join in the song which involved swinging it round your head. To my surprise, at the end of the game, she told me to keep the scarf - the first real sign that there we decent people at this club. Papa Macou Sarr, who i'd liked the look of for most of the game, was to score the equaliser and secure DAC a second point of the season. Matt blogged the game, which you can read here

Thanks, lovely Hungarian girl for the scarf.

DAC's original Metsky Stadion was undergoing a renovation during the early part of the season, forcing the club to play for the early part in Senec, then at the venues of their opponents for nearly four months. This was a contributing factor in the club's poor start to the season. However, by the next time I was over in Slovakia, the swanky new DAC Arena was half finished and able to host games. The opponents for my visit were the new basement boys, strugglers Tatran Presov. I arrived in Dunajska Streda wearing not only my scarf, but this time a shirt, as Ash had kindly sent me one after his last visit. Feeling like a fully fledged YBS ultra, it was towards the arena for the game. Ash had recommended me a small bar by the ground run by a guy called Cisco. Fair play to Cisco, he couldn't have made me feel any more welcome, especially when I mentioned I knew Ash. Soon, he was handing some kind of sandwich as we supped our pints. He even spoke German too, so I didn't have to worry about the sneers had a spoke Slovak in this very Hungarian town. German was to prove useful again inside the ground as I struggled to order some food from the kiosks. Yet again though, some kind fans, who were baffled as to why there were two Brits at the game, helped us out.

Probably the most disappointing thing about my DAC experience so far had been the actual football. A handy Slovak website called Huste streamed the live tv games, so I had watched a couple of the matches online whilst in the UK, and it was fair to say I hadn't been inspired, but having played three games in the new ground, things had been looking up. DAC remained unbeaten in their new digs and weren't going to give up that record to lowly Tatran this afternoon. I had fallen in love with striker Kris Vida (we're even friends on Facebook), so you can imagine my delight when he slotted in number three in a 5-0 thrashing of their west Slovak opponents. 5-0 probably flattered the visitors too - DAC were good. Really damn good. There was a party atmosphere at the Arena, and soon I had fellow fans jumping on me and celebrating. Clearly they thought I was some kind of good luck charm for their biggest win since 2013. If I didn't love the club before today, I certainly did now. Surprise, surprise, Matt blogged again... Here.

Cannot complain with a 5-0 win.

As the season drew to a close I was able to squeeze in one more game, away at MFK Ruzomberok. Again, I was dragging Matt to another random Slovak town, but it did mean he could tick off another top flight ground. With the hosts having just qualified for the Europa League, I certainly wasn't expecting a rollover like the Tatran game, despite DAC's unbeaten run stretching to 16 games, including that Tatran match. I'd been away for two months, and they hadn't lost, so of course I tempted fate by returning for the last match of the season. After the initial difficulty of getting into the ground - I didn't have an identity card which for some reason was required for this game - I was soon back with the YBS to cheer the boys on for once last time this season. There was some debate before the game whether it would be the last time we'd see Csaba Laszlo in the DAC dug out. The ex-Hearts boss had taken the club from relegation fodder to a top half team. Rumours suggest that contract talks between the club and Laszlo have stalled with the owner refusing to pay his demands. 

For one last time, Hajra DAC!

A Europa League place of DAC's own was still a slight possibility, but only if two separate results went the right way and DAC won. With the usual songs being sung, I felt at home again. Despite conceding an early goal, this only encouraged the rowdy bunch down to my right to get going. We were soon bouncing around the away enclosure, almost ignorant to the fact that Ruzomberok had doubled their lead. 

Full time came and the squad came over to applaud the away fans, and rightly so. Sadly though, it did look like a goodbye from Csaba as he took a scarf from the railings, beat his chest and headed down the tunnel for what was is potentially the final time. 

FC DAC 1904 Dunajska Streda (Dunaszerdahely) you've stolen my heart. A great club, with great fans, and a top class bunch of players to go with it. I can't wait for more adventures with you next season. And who knows, there may even be a chance for Europe again. 

Until next time, boys. #HajraDAC! 



No comments:

Post a Comment